Are you looking for a part-time cleaning job? If you’re like most people, you go online, search the local directories like Craigslist or Indeed and send your information to potential employers who have posted cleaning jobs. What follows can be very frustrating, in many cases, you won’t hear back right away or at all. Why is this?
I can tell you that many employers get absolutely overwhelmed at the responses and can hardly keep up. Often, they need to hire someone right away and choose the first qualified candidate. So how can you stand out from the pack?
This post will share a few ideas on responding to cleaning job posts, and marketing yourself if you are willing to make the effort. First, we will talk about replying to a post for a cleaning job.
How to Stand Out From Other Applicants:
- Don’t just reply and attach your resume, employers do not like this. Include a short greeting written in your own words.
- Make sure that your resume is up to date (yes people use a resume for cleaning jobs).
- If you do not use a resume, write a short description of your cleaning skills and why they should hire you.
- Make sure you spell everything correctly and do not use slang like “ic ur hiring”.
- Have a professional looking email address – using email@example.com doesn’t give a great first impression.
- Read the post thoroughly and follow the instructions for applying. Many applicants get tossed immediately for missing simple instructions.
When you do get a response from a potential employer, be sure to respond promptly and professionally. Don’t try to oversell yourself before the interview, especially if communicating by phone.
Make sure you know exactly where to go for your interview and show up on time. If you cannot make it, give the courtesy of a phone call to the employer. No shows are a drain on for cleaning businesses resources.
Another way for you to look for a cleaning job is to gather a list of local cleaning services in your area. Begin calling them to ask if they are hiring, if they are not hiring, ask if you can leave your name for the future. If you call enough cleaning services, you will probably find at least one company who will talk with you.
A part-time cleaning job is a great way to make extra money. Follow these simple tips and you will be collecting a paycheck before you know it!